Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Welcome to all the the Fat Old Farts

If you are like me, you are in your forties or fifties and wondering what happened to that young skinny body that you used to have. You know the one, it was back in high school or college, and now, thirty or forty years later, somehow it is gone. I know, you only gained two or three pounds a year and now it is buried under an extra eighty or hundred pounds of lard. Oh yes it is, it's still in there, somewhere. Do you consider that putting on your socks and tying your shoe laces is sufficient daily exercise? Is your cardio routine limited to lugging a 18 pack in from the car? Have you thought about taking male enhancement drugs not so much for sexual proformance but just so you can see the damn thing sticking out below your protuding pannus (stomach) once more like it did all those years ago? If your answer to any of these questions is yes, then this blog is for you. I will caution you to not embark on any exercise or diet plan without seeing your doctor first, not just to give him a good laugh but also and most importantly to be sure that you are healthy enough to begin dieting and exercising.
This blog is an answer to all of you who are like me, aging and over weight. The fitness magazines in the bookstores and the foodstores are for all those people who are currently at 178 pounds and trying desparately to achieve their ripped goal of 172 pounds. I am not worried about the last 6 or 7 pounds, I am concerned with the first 60 or 80 or 100 or more. I will chronicle what is working for me and what is not. I will give suggestions that may help and are geared for the old and over weight. You will not see suggestions of starting out with five sets of pull ups with 5 reps per set. I will sugest that you try walking around your block once or twice without having to stop and take a break and we will build from there. I will suggest how to modify your eating habits to get away from the six donut breakfast, the hamburger and fries lunch and the pizza for dinner mentality that helped give you all those extra pounds. So here's to you and hoping for success. A journey of one thousand miles starts with one step.

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

Go you! I am so proud!
Skinny dipping party with you and all the fabulous friends when I get back from Africa! lol